Monday, February 22, 2016

Home

I miss home...there I said it. Don't get me wrong, Peru is so wonderful and I love being here. But there comes a time when you just need a good cry. I know everyone feels that ways sometimes right? I've been feeling this way ever since talking to my mom when she got back from her vacation. Every point up until about now we have been doing something to keep busy. But here I am on a bus back to Lima that leaves me to dwell in my own head which is dangerous. It especially makes me miss home when all my friends message me separately telling me they miss me. It really is how they say "you don't know what you have until it's gone". Lucky for me I still get to have them when I'm back. This past weekend really got me thinking, how in the heck did I get myself in the coolest place to be homesick? If you know me at all, you would know that I am so unfortunately unlucky. But I still must have a little to get me here right?This past weekend we traveled to Paracas.This was a school sponsored trip but if I'm being honest (which I usually am) I learned nothing more than how to get the best tan. Paracas is about 4 hours from Lima. We got on our trustee bus Cruz del sur and headed down this time. Turns out our money paid for the best possible hotel we could get. That's right, this hippie/redneck stayed in a 5 star hotel and I soaked that mess in like it was my job. There was free kayak rides, paddle boarding, catamaran rides and everything you can think of. Shelby and I even deviled in some tight rope walking. Not to mention free breakfast! I'm so  used to living the college lifestyle that I wanted to put all the French toast in my bag to go. The only bad thing about this resort was that you had to pay for just about everything else and it was a pretty penny. Looking back though, it wasn't really that bad, we just all got used to the dirt cheap prices of anything Peruvian. I tried the bloody Mary's from the bar and man they were bomb, but not as good as my step dad johns(; Our rooms were big enough to fit a family of 4 but we all got our own beds with the comfiest pillows you've ever felt. Not to mention AIR CONDITIONING YESSSSSS! I slept like a damn princess each night. They even put little chocolates on your bed every night. I met your thinking "wow she's so spoiled" but don't worry, I actually had to feed myself instead of someone spoon feeding it to me...dang. But yes this place was the definition of my paradise.
Saturday morning we went on our excursion. If you wanna talk about breathtaking, visit las Islas ballestas. We knew we would see hundreds of sealions but little did we know what else there would be. On our 30 minute boat ride over to the island, we rode right next to about 3 different sets of dolphins! They are the most majestic things I've ever seen. I realized our proffesor was going to take enough pictures to fill up any album you can think of so I didn't take hardly any. It was so peaceful. We got to the island and we got to see these massive creatures. They are so ugly they're cute I think? We rode around the island and saw thousands of different birds flying everywhere. Every now and then, a sealion would be looking at us from the water. We went to "maternity beach" and saw the cutest little babies! It took everything in me not to jump out so I could hold just one...or all of them...and steal them...and raise them as my own....BUT I didn't people sorry. Right now isn't the time for penguins but we got to see 3 just chillin on some rocks soaking up the sun. Can you just imagine 13 girls squealing because of the cute animals (Stephen is one of them). I would have to say this might have been my favorite trip so far. It was a much needed relaxation trip but I got to see the most amazing creatures. Have I mentioned that I'm one of the luckiest girls ever? Oh just the opposite oops. I forgot to mention my beautiful bleach blond hair tuned green in the chlorine here. All the girls kept telling me I could be a mermaid anytime now, that never happened. As my dad would always say "it is what it is". Something I forgot to mention, a couple of us went into town to eat and shop. Guess what...I didn't buy anything! I was so proud of myself I almost cried. (But I didn't because I would've messed up my new shoes if I did that) Enough of my amazing trip, I would like to give a shoutout to my beautiful sorority daughter. Her name is Tristen and everyone should go follow her. She just started her own business and I couldn't be more proud. I've said how much I miss my family, now I should talk about my best friend. Callen has been working on his own business always and I'm also so proud of him. Follow cusosports on all social media for some details. (These are brownie points on my girlfriend status right Callen?) I miss everyone terribly but I'll be sure to always have a smile on in the last 2 months of my stay here. Sending love from Peru❤️
Here are some pictures from the recent events.



This was one of the many beaches with sealions covering more of the beach than sand was.




My absolute favorite place to be: in a hammock





1 comment:

  1. Danielle - homesickness is definitely to be expected but you're handling it like a pro. Keep busy and you'll breeze through it all. Nothing wrong with a good, satisfying cry once in awhile, too. ;-) Your pictures are beautiful and you're making life long memories that you'll always reflect on. Everything you're doing is making an impact on the rest of your life. Breathe and keep moving. :-) ~ Kelley

    ReplyDelete